GUEST: Larry Rosin, the co-founder and President of Edison Research
Spotify buys Whooshkaa! Congratulations Rob Loewenthal. A great guy and a great team.
SiriusXM is being sued for failing to provide podcast transcripts for deaf users by the National Association for the Deaf and the Disability Rights Advocates.
- As we researched in June 2020, transcripts can offer significant SEO benefits.
- The podcast:transcript tag is an open standard, supported by a number of podcasts and offers both static transcripts (in HTML or text) or real-time captions (in the SRT format). Widely supported by many modern podcast hosts including Captivate, Transistor, Buzzsprout, Omny Studio and others, a number of podcast apps display these transcripts, including the popular Android app Podcast Addict.
- Amazon Music has a proprietary solution for transcripts.
- Spotify added the right to transcribe using their own proprietary solution in May 2020, and a limited beta in May 2021. There is no mechanism for publishers to supply their own transcripts.
- Google offers live captions within every Android app on Pixel phones; that live caption tool is also available on desktop Chrome . The company doesn’t support the podcast:transcript tag.
- Apple surprisingly doesn’t offer any live captioning. The company doesn’t support the podcast:transcript tag.
- With the exception of Podcast Addict, no major podcast app supports transcripts.
- In terms of podcasts to test things on, Podland contains live captions and transcripts using the transcript tag. Also using that tag, the Podnews podcast contains a transcript only.
Comments are live on Podverse! Podverse has added episode comments to their new website using ActivityPub Protocol.
Buzzsprout now supports the podcast:person tag for hosts and co-hosts. It’s available to everyone (and added to Podland).