Basics_02 - Hashes & Proofs of Work
10 Feb • 59m
To play around yourself with the hashing tools discussed you can:
- open a Terminal window on your Mac or Linux computer and type...
shasum -a 256 [insert file]
Replacing [insert file] with the file path of whatever you wish to hash (you can usually drag and drop)
- On Windows open the "command prompt" and type...
Get-FileHash -Path [insert file]
To verify my Proof of Work done in the episode:
echo -n "H18" | shasum -a 256
(this works on Mac & Linux, but unfortunately the process on Windows was too complicated to go through the trouble of confirming it)
Don't forget to check out our amazing sponsors:
• Dive into the Bitcoin only wallet, the cypherpunk calculator, and a company that has built secure Bitcoin products for nearly a decade. Code BITCOINAUDIBLE gets 9% off everything in your cart! (https://guyswann.com/coldcard)
• Gets sats back every time you dump fiat at a store, to pay your bills, everything in your fiat life pays you sats with the Fold Debit Card and FoldApp. 20,000 FREE SATS! at (https://guyswann.com/fold)
• The best place to onboard a true Bitcoiner - Stack sats automatically, withdraw automatically, and learn or get help from the best team of Bitcoiners out there with Swan Bitcoin. (https://swanbitcoin.com/guy)
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model, that makes teh existing model obsolete." – R. Buckminster Fuller
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/bitcoinaudible/message
Great stuff! I’ve been looking for a good series of Bitcoin basics to point friends and family to. And you’re filling in gaps for me.
awesome! if you have any idea of question you want covered I’m always happy to add it into the show directly. in fact a Q&A could be a good thing to have at the end of every Basics episode come to think of it 🤔
Get mining Plebs. It's pretty fun.
liking the basics episodes!
Understanding hashes, even at a basic non-technical level is indeed fundamental to understanding Bitcoin. Great "Basics" episode. 💪
great episode! I'll be using the "night club" analogy next time I get a chance to explain difficulty adjustment.
nice explanations that help understand the roots of bitcoin principles. thank a lot
Great episode! I really enjoy your bitcoin basics, as a new coiner who is still working on acquiring my first whole coin. Thanks!
great series! keep going with this, there is a lot to learn!
Really enjoying the basics episodes. Thanks Guy. If you fancy proving Guy’s work on a Windows machine, this is how I did it: 1. Created a text file with “H18” as the content & saved it to my desktop. 2. Opened the Command Prompt. 3. Typed: certutil -hashfile [the-path-to-the-text-file] SHA256 4. Hit enter. You should see this hash displayed: 522e67d1eb7bea6c31ee436b39fb834a999cbc77bfc1391ded283c4ecee6d748