- Buzzsprout - last week, 3,437 people started a podcast with Buzzsprout
- Squadcast - Create high-quality audio and video content just using your browser and using Dolby Enhanced Audio Mastering, they’ll sound better than ever.
- Tom Webster - Sounds Profitable
Show Notes & Links
- Tom Webster has announced he is to join Sounds Profitable as Partner.
Writing in Sounds Profitable, he outlines the future for Sounds Profitable - to share content, research, run events and advisory services to help set the course for the future of the audio business.
- Todd Cochrane’s Geek News Central hits episode 1,600 this week. One of the first podcasts in the world, its first episode was Oct 9, 2004 - just a few weeks after the word “podcast” began to be used. This was the first podcast Tom Webster listened to.
- Wondery is streaming some shows in Dolby Atmos. You’ll need to be a Wondery+ subscriber to listen because there aren’t any standard podcast apps that playback the format yet.
- The sixth annual IAB US Podcast Advertising Revenue study was published. It shows US podcast ad revenue growth increasing dramatically during 2021, hitting $1.4bn. Revenues are forecast to hit $4.2bn in 2024.
- iHeartMedia’s podcast business brought in $69m during the first quarter - 12% of total revenue; its radio business brought in $416m. The company posted a net loss of $48.7m, though, for the quarter.
- Spotify is to close Spotify Stations, a lean-back music radio experience.
- Spotify is testing a new homepage layout that allows a toggle between music and podcasts. h/t Chris Messina.
- Spotify has published its Swedish Podcast Report 2022. 54% of Swedish people from 18-79 listen to podcasts regularly; 60% say they listen on Spotify; SR Play is #2, and Apple Podcasts is #3.
- Acast says the company is focusing its efforts on Conversational Targeting, meaning “advertisers are targeting conversations — not individual users”.